Wednesday, November 21, 2012

When in ROME!

Hello Everyone-

Although I am not feeling the greatest, I have decided to go on with my plans to travel to Rome this weekend while you are celebrating Thanksgiving!  I hope you all get to feast on turkey surrounded by the love of family and friends.  Please pray for those who will not be around a table full of food and love, and remember them as you feast on this day.  

I leave for Rome at 10:00am from Harlaxton.  Again, I will be utilizing a LOT of transportation methods for this trip.  I'm either taking a cab or the shuttle into town to get to the train station, where I will then use the train to get to London Stansted Airport, which will take me to Rome.  I have a lot of time between my flight and when I arrive, so I plan on reading and just reflecting back on the semester.  I have a personal journal that I have been using, and it's nice to look back on everything.  I will arrive in Rome at approximately 8pm, which is 7 hours ahead of the midwest states.  At this point, some of you will begin your feasts- remember to pray for me for safe travels!  

I don't have my plans set in stone, but I do know a few things.  I will be walking- EVERYWHERE.  I feel like the best way to know the culture is to walk, so my travel partner, Alexis, and I will be walking everywhere.  We want to see the Pantheon, as well as the Trevino Fountain and the Vatican City.  We want to eat LOTS of gelato and drink wine.  I also really want to eat some authentic pasta from Italy!!  I really want to look for some street markets to finish up my souvenir shopping before I get back to London (I almost said the homeland!).  We have Friday and Saturday to do all of this- and I think we will accomplish this easily.  Alexis and I are pretty laid back about our trip.

Roman weather is also looking in our favor- we saw it should be about 60 degrees every day, which will be a nice change from the 30-40 degree weather that we have been experiencing.  I would enjoy the cold weather a LOT more if it were snowing, but unfortunately that is not the case.  Our hostel we are staying at is pretty close to the city center as well as the main train station, which if we need a train, we are close by.  Some students that traveled to Rome earlier in the semester stayed at the hostel we are staying at, and they said it's pretty cool.  They also recommended a pizza place nearby, which I will definitely have to check out!

I arrive back in London on Sunday at 12pm.  If all goes well with customs, we should be on a train back to Harlaxton and back to the Manor by 5pm.  However, the trains have been failing us lately, so I think we will be back around 6:30, which is still plenty of time to get back for roast meat, mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts, and fake ice cream, the typical Sunday dinner at Harlaxton.  At that point, I will be home in 11 days- so so so so soon!  

By the time people see this blog, it will be 14 days- 2 weeks- until I get back into the states.   Remember- pray for safe travels and for those who aren't able to enjoy Thanksgiving.  I have a lot to be thankful for while being at Harlaxton in England this semester, and it starts with my family and friends who have loved and supported me throughout this experience.  I thank God every day, because I know I couldn't do it without you all :) I'm very thankful for the safe travels that I have had for the past 13 weeks.  I'm also thankful for the friendships I have made while being here.  I know that God has brought us together for a reason.  I'm also thankful that I am going home in 14 days to see my family and friends- although I love Harlaxton, it has made me appreciate home that just more.  


Cheers, and have a blessed and happy Thanksgiving-
Taylor <3

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tay glad you are feeling well enough to travel. Maybe the little warmer weather will help you too. Maybe get rid of the London Fog like grampa says. Take care and have fun Love Grama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Grandma! Rome was really warm so it was nice to get some sunshine. :)

    ReplyDelete