Monday, November 19, 2012

17 Days and Counting!!!

Cheers Everyone!

I can't believe that I'm leaving so soon!  It's official- I will be on the USA soil in 17 days, and I will be leaving Harlaxton for the last time in 16 days.  It's unbelievable that my time here has gone so quickly!  I am so thankful and truly blessed to have had your support while I have been away.  I could not be here without my family and friends talking to me every day and reminding me that I have people out there praying for me!  Here is a little re-cap of what has happened this semester :)
On 24 August 2012, I arrived at Harlaxton Manor for the first time.  I still can NOT believe that I am here- each time I walk in the doors or even drive up to the Manor I cannot get over its beauty.  The decor and styles that are all over the place are just magnificent- every time you turn a corner you see something different.  Each time I walk into a room, I notice more and more detail that I had not noticed before.  But we hit the ground running when we arrived at Harlaxton- we were immersed in the British culture.  
I took my first trip outside of Harlaxton Manor to London for a weekend on 30 August 2012.  It was my first real trip in another country without people I was really close to.  My nursing classmates and I wandered around the city trying to find different information related to our nursing clinical.  My roommate Bailey and I went on a sightseeing tour.  Everywhere I went, I saw something different; iconic red buses lined the streets, the classic black taxi cabs, as well as the Olympics mania occurring at Trafalgar Square, where I witnessed an American winning a Gold medal.  
I traveled again to London on 07 September 2012 with my great friend Desiree and her Auntie Agnes, whom I have grown very fond of.  The week after was spent in the Manor with friends and experiencing the nightlife of Grantham, the town next to Harlaxton.  I met my Meet-a-Family, Andrew and Ann for the first time.  I planned trips to Ireland and Paris.  I met new people and I don't regret any new friendships created.  
Soon I was off to Ireland on 26 September 2012 for a long weekend with the school.  We went to kiss the Blarney Stone, and traveled around the Ring of Kerry, where I saw the most magnificent landscapes that I had set my eyes on.  I left a piece of my heart in Ireland, and I know I will be back to see the lush green landscapes that are so beautiful.  Just remember, when you go to Ireland, stay in Kilarney.  It's too beautiful to pass up <3
After a few mishaps when planning trips, I stayed at Harlaxton for a few weeks to complete assignments and wander around the Manor.  It was nice to be one of the kids who hung out at home and see what life was like without everyone here.  I got to watch movies and actually feel like I lived in a castle for the first time during those weeks.  In between weekends I traveled to Eyam (the Plague village), Chatsworth House, and Burghley House.  Just a few pit-stops along the beautiful English countryside.  
Suddenly, I was in Bath and Stonehenge on 18 October 2012.  I got to see the Roman baths and honestly one of the most cities I have ever seen.  I loved Bath- the culture of the people there were so charming and welcoming, and I had a great time with new friends yet again.  I got to wander around one of the most mysterious things I had ever seen- Stonehenge.  Incredible, yet it makes sense when you see it.
I was able to cross an item off my bucket list- paragliding in Switzerland with my friend Sara on 24 October 2012.  The trip was honestly a blessing from the skies above- we got lost and confused so many times, yet there were people who crossed our path who were able to help us along the way.  Interlaken was a great place- so many people and so much to do.  I definitely want to go back to see it in the summertime.  I think it would be completely magnificent :)
Life started picking up; I took a day trip to Cadbury World and Birmingham, home to the great shopping area in London.  I ate so much chocolate and shopped till I dropped; it was a trip to remember because of the free chocolate, and because we accomplished all we did in one day!  But not to be there too long- British Studies examinations were coming up yet again.  Don't forget the small parties that we had in the Bistro on week nights after the Lions Basketball Games.
Days later, I traveled to Paris, France to experience the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame, other items checked off my bucket list on 07 November 2012.  I was able to wander the streets of Paris and attempt to be a Parisian (unsuccessful).  However, I created new friendships over BBC television and cheap wine in our hotel.  It was one of the greatest trips I had ever been on.  I had no plans, and I came out with a great experience.  And, a new love for crepes and nutella :)
Now I sit here and I reflect the past weekend of my London field trip and Costume Ball.  I leave in literally 72 hours for Rome.  It's truly amazing how fast time has gone since I have been here.  To think that I recounted only a FEW of the highlights of my semester is incredible.  It's like an entire volume in my life that I have filled up with the memories of Harlaxton.  I'm slowly starting to see how easily this place can change your life and your outlook and personal beliefs.  Never have I ever thought that I could change this much since being here.  
I leave this castle in 16 days, and I will be home in 17 days. I didn't think I would ever say this, but it's really bittersweet to think about going home.  I know it will take a lot to carry my bags out the door on 05 December 2012....but I know I will be running off a plane on 06 December 2012 into my family's arms!

Love always,
Taylor <3

2 comments:

  1. Again grandaughter you have mnade me cry. Happy tears as I read your blog to know you have done everything that you set out to do while so far away from home.Soon you will be home with us and yes you are so right. Your mom and dad will be at that airport waiting to get their hands on you as well as the rest of us. Stay safe and well and we will see you soon. Love grama p.s. thank you for taking us with you on a journey I personally will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww I hope I didn't make you cry! These are happy things! I am so excited to come home right now- 9 more days!!! Love you- thank you for always reading my blogs :)

      Delete