Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Bath & Stonehenge!

Hello Everyone!

I just got back from a wonderful short weekend trip to Bath and Stonehenge.  I have got to tell you, it was absolutely gorgeous.  I have officially found my new favorite place in England!  I was surrounded by the best scenery and people all weekend long.  I took so many pictures and videos...and I leave for Switzerland on Wednesday!  It's unbelievable how fast time is flying over here...less than 40ish days and I will be home again!!!  It's very exciting to think about all of the adventures I still have yet to come, and how soon I will be home again.  But back to the whole point of this blog- Bath and Stonehenge!

Bath is quite a large town that is nestled away in southern England, which is about 4 hours of driving away from Harlaxton.  The sights, the shopping, the history; everything is completely wonderful.  We started off our day at the Roman baths.  It was such a cool sight to see...I figured there would only be the one bath, but there were multiple baths that are actually located under the city, which was really cool to learn.  The Baths may have been one of my favorite parts of Bath itself.  Here are some pictures, so feast your eyes!  I went below sea level to see all of these areas, which was also cool.  It was like a small Roman city under there.
I got to see many different types of Roman artifacts that have been discovered by historians.  However, everything is really left up to interpretation because they really don't know the intention of the Romans with every single item.  The baths that I sat next to are the ones that are featured in the bird's eye view picture (top).  This is a naturally occurring spring that is STILL going, even in 2012.  I was able to touch the water that was running inside, which was surprisingly warm and tasted slightly like iron.  It was still pretty awesome to sit there are think of the Romans during this period in time.
After I left the Baths, I was able to go to Bath Abbey, which is an outstanding cathedral that is located right outside of the Roman Baths.  It was an outstanding sight; the walls, the arches, the stained glass windows were all so beautiful.  You would think by now I would get sick of looking at these unique buildings, but I'm still fascinated by them every time I enter the building.  Everyone is so quiet because their mouths are dropped to the ceiling!  I really enjoyed walking around, and one of my nursing peers noticed that Thomas Boelynn was buried in this cathedral, which happens to be that father of Ann Boelynn, who is one of Henry VIII's wives (six degrees of separation right there!).
I spent the rest of the day wandering around shopping through small stores, and I ate dinner at a place called, "Giraffe" with some friends.  It was a funky restaurant located in the shopping district (which is almost all of Bath!) and we all had a great time.  From there we got a cab ride back to the hostel, which was quite an experience.  Let's just say, it was NOT a CashCab, even though we were led to believe it was!
The next morning, we left for Glastonbury Abbey and Wells Cathedral.  These were both magnificent places to go; one was a very structured and Victorian style cathedral, while the other was in ruins from a great fire, but some of the walls were still in place.  The weather was absolutely stunning on this day; I was able to walk around without a coat on!  We had a great time at these locations, and then we made our way back to Bath.  I went to different places in the city, including the Circus and the Royal Crescent.  Enjoy the short videos I created!


On Sunday on our way home, we went to Stonehenge, which was also a very unique trip experience.  We were able to walk near the stones, but not through the middle because of stones moving and falling down.  We had a good time even though it was BONE chilling cold!  From there we went to Salisbury, which is where some special people I know have already traveled to.  :)  The town was beautiful and hopefully I can upload those pictures soon!  But right now I'm getting ready for bed because I leave for SWITZERLAND tomorrow!!!  I cannot wait for this trip, and I ask that you all pray for safe travels for me and my friend Sara.  We will try to check in via facebook every now and then, but I should be home on Sunday afternoon with a possible blog posted!  Thanks for keeping up with my blog, and until next time (MORE time, honestly...I still have more stories from Bath and Stonehenge!).

Cheers! <3
Taylor

1 comment:

  1. IT is just wonderful you are able to have these experiences and take us with you. I don't know if I want to go over the side of the mountain with you though. Maybe leave your camera on the ground. Read my message to you and please be careful and stay safe. May God be with you Love Grama H.

    ReplyDelete